This Section aims to inform about the books, texts, people etc., that in a way or another, directly or indirectly, work in the sense of approaching, or bring nearer the two great traditions of Christianity and Buddhism. And, thus, in some measure all these texts are included in the spirit of the following statement by Dr Anna Kingsford and Edward Maitland:
“They who seek to wed Buddha to Jesus are of the celestial and upper; and they who interpose to forbid the banns are of the astral and nether”. (The Perfect Way; or, the Finding of Christ, p. 256)
We believe that with the development of the works of the Buddhist Christianity (the Wheel and the Cross), new Sub-Sections may be created to organize new material and informations in this Section, as well as in the other Sections of the Site.
As a beginning, below we have selected some books as examples of works that, even if not explicitly or directly, help to promote the approaching, to bring nearer or to unite the currents of Christianity and Buddhism:
• Addresses and Essays on Vegetarianism. Anna Kingsford and Edward Maitland. Edited by Samuel Hopgood Hart. London, John M. Watkins, 1912. 227 pp.
• O Buda Jesus – As Fontes Budistas do Cristianismo (The Buddha Jesus – The Buddhist Sources of Christianity). Original title: The Original Jesus. Holger Kersten and Elmar R. Bruber. São Paulo, Ed. Best Seller. 372 pp.
• Clothed With the Sun: Being the Illuminations of Anna (Bonus) Kingsford. Edited by Edward Maitland. First Edition: London, John M. Watkins, 1889. Second Edition: Birmingham, The Ruskin Press, 1906. Third Edition: edited by Samuel Hopgood Hart, 1937. Santa Fe (USA), Sun Books (reprint), 1993. 210 pp.
• The Credo of Christendom: and other Addresses and Essays on Esoteric Christianity. Anna Kingsford and Edward Maitland. Edited by Samuel Hopgood Hart. London, John M. Watkins, 1916. 256 pp.
• The Concealed Wisdom in World Mythology. Geoffrey Hodson. Adyar, TPH, 1983. 219 pp.
• O Credo Cristão (The Christian Creed). C.W. Leadbeater. São Paulo, Ed. Pensamento, 1984. 169 pp.
• O Cristianismo Esotérico (Esoteric Christianity). Annie Besant. São Paulo, Ed. Pensamento, 2005. 208 pp.
• Cristianismo Zen – Uma Forma de Meditação (Christian Zen – A Way of Meditiation). William Johnston (S.J.). São Paulo, Ed. Cultrix, 1993. 130 pp.
• A Esfinge Helena Blavatsky (The Sphinx Helena Blavatsky). Marina Villares Lenz Cesar Sisson. Published by the author, Brasília (Brazil), 2003. 307 pp. [Book still in the Portuguese language, but with relevant information in relation to the work of Dr Anna Kingsford and of Helena Blavatsky.]
• O Evangelho de Buda (The Gospel of Buddha). Yogi Kharishnand. São Paulo, Ed. Pensamento, 1999. 184 pp.
• Evangelho de Ramakrishna (The Gospel of Ramakrishna). Abhedananda, Swami. São Paulo, Ed. Pensamento, 1995. 223 pp.
• The Hidden Wisdom in the Holy Bible. Geoffrey Hodson. Adyar, TPH, 1991. (four volumes) Vol. I, 292 pp.; Vol. II 408 pp.; Vol III, 345 pp.; Vol. IV, 375 pp.
• An Introduction to Hindu Symbolism. I.K. Taimni. Adyar, TPH, 1980. 118 pp.
• “A Message to Earth”. Edward Maitland (editor). Published anonymously. Published in conjunction with the writings recognized by the Esoteric Christian Union (whose President-Founder was Edward Maitland) as appertaining to the “New Gospel of Interpretation.” London, Lamley & Co. (1 & 3 Exhibition Road, S.W.), 1892. 93 pp.
• Místicos e Mestres Zen (Mystics and Zen Masters). Thomas Merton (A well known Christian writer and mystic). Rio de Janeiro, Ed. Civilização Brasileira, 1972. 305 pp.
• The Mystery Teaching of the Bible. Daisy E. Grove. London, TPH, 1962. 120 pp.
• The “New Gospel of Interpretation”: Being an Abstract of the Doctrine and a Statement of the Origin, Object, Basis, Method and Scope of the Esoteric Christian Union. Edward Maitland. Published under auspice of the Esoteric Christian Union, whose President-Founder was Edward Maitland. London, Lamley & Co., 1892. 93 pp.
• The New Testament Commentaries of H.P. Blavatsky. Compliled and annotated by H.J. Spierenburg. San Diego, Point Loma Publications, 1987. 343 pp.
• Return to the Centre. Bede Griffiths. Collins (USA), 1976. 154 pp. (Mainly chapter 12: The Buddha, Krishna and Christ)
• Seven Great Religions (Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Jainism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Sidhism). Annie Besant. Adyar, TPH, 1992. 296 pp.
• Teaching Zen to Christians. Elaine MacInnes (Sr. OLM). Manila, TPH, 1993. 113 pp.
• Theosophy and Universal Brotherhood (Decisive Elements to the Glory or to the Failure of the Theosophical Society). Arnaldo Sisson Filho. Published by the author. Brasília, 2009. (Complete work in the Site Anna Kingsford)
• Yeshua Buddha – An Interpretation of New Testament Theology as a Meaningful Myth. Jay G. Williams. Wheaton, Quest Books, 1978. 134 pp.